Subject: bug#79217: [PATCH] display-time-mode: Include world-clock time in mode line.

From: "Jacob S. Gordon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 19:15:02 -0400

Hey Wilko,

On 2025-08-11 10:00, Wilko Meyer wrote:
> This patch introduces an user option to conditionally include
> world-clock time, in addition to the localtime, when display-time-mode is
> active, in mode line.

Sounds useful to me. Some thoughts:

+ When the world clock list is long, this takes up a big chunk of the
  mode line. Would it make sense to limit the # or width somehow?

+ When enabled, it might help to have something like “(local)” beside
  the current time as a separator, i.e. it could look like:

  6:56PM (local) 7:56AM (Tokyo)

  instead of:

  6:56PM 7:56AM (Tokyo)

+ Perhaps the order should reflect `world-clock-sort-order' (by
  calling `world-clock--sort-entries' with the list and time).

+ I’m not sure what the norm is for mode line entries, but maybe the
  :set of the defcustom could refresh the mode line.

Best,

--
Jacob S. Gordon
[email-masked]
Please avoid sending me HTML emails and MS Office documents.
https://useplaintext.email/#etiquette