Subject: bug#79217: [PATCH] display-time-mode: Include world-clock time in mode line.

From: "Jacob S. Gordon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2025 03:35:21 -0400

Hey Wilko,

Thanks for considering my feedback!

On 2025-08-12 16:07, Wilko Meyer wrote:
>+(defcustom display-time-include-world-clock t

I think it should be nil by default (as in your first version).

>+NUM => to include at most NUM entries."
>--8<--
>+(defcustom display-time-include-world-clock-labels nil
>+  "Only include world-clock entries whose label is in this list."
>+  :type '(repeat (string :tag "Label")))

I wonder if the # of entries and the list of labels should be options of
the same variable, as they both limit the included zones. Is something
lost if they can’t both be specified?

>+(defcustom display-time-include-world-clock t
>+  "Include world times in the mode line. The value can be one of:

Nit: The opening sentence should be alone on the first line to act as a
summary.

>+t   => to include all entries from `time--display-world-list`.

Nit: This should link to something user-facing like world-clock-list
(and quoted `like this').

>+             (if display-time-include-world-clock " (local)"))

Nit: Maybe this could be factored into your helper function.

On 2025-08-12 16:21, Wilko Meyer wrote:
> so the sort-order is honored, didn't know that sorting the entries was
> possible before.

Thanks, it’s pretty new (and I have some selfish motivation to advocate
for it ;P).

> that's a good question, haven't seen usage of :set in time.el, but I
> also don't really know how other mode line entries are handling this
> yet, will probably look that up during the next days if time permits.

I could definitely be off-base here, maybe someone more experienced than
I can comment.

Best,

-- 
Jacob S. Gordon
[email-masked]
Please avoid sending me HTML emails and MS Office documents.
https://useplaintext.email/#etiquette