Subject: bug#79217: [PATCH] display-time-mode: Include world-clock time in mode line.

From: Wilko Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 22:21:14 +0200

Hi Jacob,

thanks for the feedback!

"Jacob S. Gordon" <[email-masked]> writes:
> + When the world clock list is long, this takes up a big chunk of the
>   mode line. Would it make sense to limit the # or width somehow?

I just prepared a second version of this patch that allows
display-time-include-world-clock to be either t (to include all
entries), nil (to disable mode line inclusion), or NUM. If it's set to a
number that number will be used as the max number of possible entries to
be displayed.

> + When enabled, it might help to have something like “(local)” beside
>   the current time as a separator, i.e. it could look like:

Also included this.

> + Perhaps the order should reflect `world-clock-sort-order' (by
>   calling `world-clock--sort-entries' with the list and time).

I am now fetching the entries like:

(world-clock--sort-entries (time--display-world-list) now)

so the sort-order is honored, didn't know that sorting the entries was
possible before.

> + I’m not sure what the norm is for mode line entries, but maybe the
>   :set of the defcustom could refresh the mode line.

that's a good question, haven't seen usage of :set in time.el, but I
also don't really know how other mode line entries are handling this
yet, will probably look that up during the next days if time permits.

-- 
Kind regards,
Wilko Meyer