Subject: 29.4; cl-defgeneric docstring is incorrect

From: Sean McAfee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2025 16:36:37 -0700

The docstring for cl-defgeneric reads:

(cl-defgeneric NAME ARGS [DOC-STRING] [OPTIONS-AND-METHODS...] &rest
DEFAULT-BODY)
[...]
With this implementation the ARGS are currently ignored.
[...]

However, this is not the case, as seen in this excerpt from an ielm buffer:

ELISP> (cl-defgeneric foo (x y) (+ x y))
foo
ELISP> (foo 1 2)
3 (#o3, #x3, ?\C-c)

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-01-29 built on system76-pc
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12302006
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  gnus-dired-mode: t
  dired-launch-mode: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  beginend-dired-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  dired-hide-details-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/emacs/ack hides /home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/ack-1.11/ack
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/git-commit-20240123.1358/git-commit hides
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20250725.2240/git-commit
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250724.1634/transient hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/transient
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-ensure
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-lint hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-core hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-bind-key
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-jump hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-diminish
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-delight
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
~/emacs/japanese hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/language/japanese
~/emacs/chinese hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/language/chinese

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug mode-local mule-util shortdoc help-fns
radix-tree misearch multi-isearch executable recentf tree-widget
conf-mode view bug-reference c++-ts-mode c-ts-mode warnings vc-git
gnus-dired diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso org-bullets oc-basic ol-eww
eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win ol-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi raku-detect face-remap org-agenda org-element org-persist
xdg org-id avl-tree org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs ol org-fold org-fold-core org-compat org-version org-macs
dired-launch emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi emms-idapi-musicbrainz
emms-mpris dbus emms-librefm-stream xml emms-librefm-scrobbler
emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser emms-filters sort emms-volume emms-volume-mpv
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat treesit-auto xref-js2 vc vc-dispatcher
js2-mode js c-ts-common treesit cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs dired-filter f
dired-hacks-utils dired-aux dired-x shell-pop term disp-table ehelp
beginend volatile-highlights iedit iedit-lib
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more tagedit s sgml-mode facemenu
dom mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core advice rect dtrt-indent
projectile grep ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs elisp-slime-nav etags
fileloop generator xref project magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff-mode git-commit log-edit
message sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete
server magit-mode transient benchmark magit-git magit-base magit-section
format-spec cursor-sensor crm llama compat compat-30
ido-completing-read+ memoize cus-edit pp cus-load icons minibuf-eldef
flycheck find-func diminish gnus nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils
range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit autoinsert misc
sanityinc-tomorrow-blue-theme color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow color
mb-depth files-x ido-vertical-mode undo-tree diff queue ack derived
compile text-property-search paredit edmacro kmacro dash cl-extra
help-mode use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core desktop frameset finder-inf winner elec-pair savehist
hippie-exp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring thingatpt ido cl
change-inner-autoloads color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow-autoloads
dired-filter-autoloads dired-launch-autoloads dired-ranger-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads dtrt-indent-autoloads emms-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads f-autoloads fix-word flycheck-autoloads
git-link-autoloads git-timemachine-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads
ido-vertical-mode-autoloads js2-refactor-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads llama-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads
paredit-autoloads popup-autoloads projectile-autoloads rx
restclient-autoloads shell-pop-autoloads swiper-autoloads ivy-autoloads
dash-autoloads transient-autoloads treesit-auto-autoloads
volatile-highlights-autoloads wfnames-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
info compat-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1154309 103473)
 (symbols 48 51775 3)
 (strings 32 302136 25627)
 (string-bytes 1 8103905)
 (vectors 16 107398)
 (vector-slots 8 1939921 264260)
 (floats 8 625 307)
 (intervals 56 54161 197)
 (buffers 984 77))