Subject: Re: bug#79173: 30.1; TRAMP simplified syntax produces empty completing-read candidates

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2025 17:33:09 +0100

On Thu, 7 Aug 2025 at 15:48, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> > Great, I can confirm this works for me too, also with my standard
> > setup.
>

After some more testing, I can still reproduce the problem where with the
patched TRAMP 2.8.0.1, and using vertico 2.4, Emacs 30.1 tries to log into
a remote host when I type C-x C-f /

I have been unable to find the cause. On one machine, the problem occurs,
on the other it doesn't. They are using the same build of Emacs on the same
version of Ubuntu. I made my .emacs.d and .ssh directories diff-identical,
just to be sure.

The only thing I could discover was that when I change the contents of my
~/.ssh/known_hosts file, the remote machine that Emacs tries to log into
changes.

Making ~/.ssh/known_hosts empty did not help, it merely caused Emacs to
select a different remote host than the one it chose with my original
known_hosts file.

In all cases, the remote host Emacs was trying to connect to was one
mentioned in my ~/.ssh/config file, but this identical file is present on
the machine where I cannot reproduce the problem.

In any case, the contents of my SSH configuration should not really causing
a problem!

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org