Subject: bug#79173: 30.1; TRAMP simplified syntax produces empty completing-read candidates

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2025 12:50:14 +0100

On Thu, 7 Aug 2025 at 08:36, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> I've pushed the Tramp patch to the repositories. Will be available with
> Emacs 31. And it will be also be part of the next GNU ELPA release,
> Tramp 2.8.0.2.
>
> I've tried your scenario, again, with the recompiled Emacs 31. I cannot
> reproduce the error any longer. Could you, pls, check?
>

I think there may be some confusion here. I am using Emacs 30, and have
never tested Emacs 31. I applied your patch to Tramp 2.8.0.1, and found the
different error, which you diagnosed as a vertico bug, in Emacs 30.

Since you say that with your TRAMP patch the problem ought not to arise in
Emacs 30, I was trying to understand whether the remaining problem is
indeed in vertico, or not (there may be some disagreement between you and
the vertico maintainer on this).

As to Emacs 31, it appears that other changes there may have concealed one
or more bugs, but since the fixes are in TRAMP and/or vertico, it doesn't
seem that there are any further implications for Emacs 31.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org