Subject: 31.0.50; eshell does not complete filename arguments with tramp

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2025 12:59:19 +0200

After an unknown command there is a discrepancy how file names are
completed depending on if the current directory is local or remote.

In Eshell I enter some command unknown to Pcomplete and then I try to
complete a filename:

~/local $ mycommand fileprefix<TAB> --> Completion works
/ssh:user@host:~/ $ mycommand fileprefix<TAB> --> Completion does not work
/su::/ $ mycommand fileprefix<TAB> --> Completion does not work

I can fix the problem with the following advice which disables the
`pcomplete-remote-file-ignore' override:

(advice-add 'eshell-complete-parse-arguments
 :after (lambda () (kill-local-variable 'pcomplete-remote-file-ignore)))

Is this expected or is this a bug? What is the reasoning behind
disabling file name completion? I would like to always have the ability
to complete file names.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.4) of 2025-07-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101016
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 13 (trixie)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=$HOME/.local/share/emacs
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter --with-native-compilation
 --with-dbus --without-selinux --without-threads --disable-gc-mark-trace
 --without-gsettings --without-gpm --with-cairo --with-cairo-xcb
 --with-xinput2 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-O3 -mtune=native -march=native''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD
LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM
XRANDR GTK3 ZLIB