Subject: bug#79144: [PATCH] New debugger-trap function to break to GDB

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2025 13:57:58 -0700

On 8/2/2025 1:21 PM, Jeremy Bryant via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the 
Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
> Thanks, maybe this can be clarified - what makes you think of elisp
> debugging in this version?  The file debug.el?

Initially, just reading the patch, the notes in etc/DEBUG didn't mention 
which debugger, but after reading the rest of that file, I see the 
context is clearer there.

For the 'debugger-trap' docstring though, it could be useful to point to 
the 'debug' command (which is roughly the Elisp debugger's equivalent), 
and possibly vice-versa. That way users can get redirected to the 
correct function from either docstring.

> Beyond the immediate benefit to developers, the plan and prototype is to
> use the Lisp debugger debug or edebug to then have the hybrid debugging,
> so that choice of file also makes sense for this future plan.

That would be very nice indeed. Debugging/instrumenting across the 
C/Lisp boundary is something I've never managed to do, and having a 
straightforward way to set it up would help a lot.