Subject: bug#7914: 23.2; Regexp History I-Search backwards infinite loops

From: John <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:27:55 -0800

When in a shell processd doing a reverse history search sometimes causes an
infinite loop.
M-r 

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.5.0)
 of 2010-12-20 on Admins-MacBook-Pro.local
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/opt/local' '--without-x' '--with-dbus' '--without-gconf' '--without-libotf' '--without-m17n-flt' '--without-gpm' '--infodir' '/opt/local/share/info/emacs' 'CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -arch x86_64' 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -arch x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Ibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  wrap-region-global-mode: t
  wrap-region-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f m a DEL DEL C 2 / g l u e s t i c k RET C-x 
C-d C-x 3 C-x + C-g C-c ; r C-a C-c C-c C-n C-n C-d 
C-x k RET C-g C-g C-a C-h k C-c ; r C-g C-x 0 C-g C-a 
C-x p C-x C-b g / R j o TAB RET C-a n n n n n n n n 
n n n n n n n n n n n n n n TAB C-g C-a ESC < n n n 
n n n n n n n n / d C-g C-g C-g / f C 2 / g l u e s 
t i c k RET / f m a i n / c o d e / g l u e s t i c 
k RET / o / a g l u e s t i c k RET C-g C-g C-a / d 
/ g g l u e s t i c k RET n C-a C-n C-s g l u e s t 
i C-a C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n RET RET C-g 
/ S j o TAB DEL h n RET C-g C-a C-n C-g C-x o C-x b 
C-g C-x p ESC x r e p o r t - b DEL e m a c s - b u 
g TAB RET

Recent messages:
ibuffer-decompose-filter: Wrong type argument: listp, "gluestick_vm"
Mark saved where search started
Quit
Saving file /Users/john/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /Users/john/.emacs.d/init.el
Saving file /Users/john/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /Users/john/.emacs.d/init.el
Quit [3 times]

Process pbcopy finished

Load-path shadows:
/Users/john/.emacs.d/lisp/rinari/test/init hides ~/.emacs.d/init
~/.emacs.d/lisp/rinari/util/ruby-mode hides /opt/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/progmodes/ruby-mode

Features:
(shadow mail-extr message idna ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader
canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils warnings emacsbug cus-edit
multi-isearch ibuf-ext ibuffer cua-base sql conf-mode image inf-ruby
ansi-color vc-git dired tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb
tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util netrc
time-date password-cache format-spec tramp-compat trampver server
haml-mode js byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile json thingatpt etags imenu
javascript-mode newcomment cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine markdown-mode derived noutline outline css-mode
wrap-region vimpulse viper viper-ex viper-macs viper-mous viper-cmd
viper-keym viper-util viper-init ido windows revive switch-window quail
help-mode view magit diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log ruby-electric
easy-mmode ruby-mode csv-mode sort ess-toolbar ess-swv ess-noweb
noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a
executable shell ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l ess-sta-d
ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp5-d ess-sp3-d
ess-r-d ess-r-args assoc tooltip ess-s-l ess-inf ess-utils ess-mode
noweb-mode ess ess-custom ess-compat ess-site uniquify advice help-fns
advice-preload delsel saveplace paren grep compile comint ring tool-bar
cus-start cus-load color-theme edmacro kmacro wid-edit cl cl-19 sendmail
regexp-opt reporter easymenu ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind multi-tty emacs)