Subject: bug#79124: emacs -Q doesn't give me a clean slate

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2025 16:01:55 +0300

> From: Rudolf Schlatte <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2025 07:13:42 +0200
> 
> Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > It's a matter of priorities. If we want Emacs to be easy to test
> > reproducibly, there's a real need for improvement here. If we think
> > this sort of testing is unimportant, then indeed we should stop this
> > discussion.
> 
> You probably are already aware, but (if my understanding is correct) the
> code that is tested with a non-existent or non-writable home directory
> is byte-code interpreted, whereas with a writable home directory the
> code that is run is natively compiled.  So the tests will test something
> subtly different than what end users will run.

Yes, this is another downside of suppressing native compilation in a
build that's supposed to use it in production.