Subject: Re: bug#79124: emacs -Q doesn't give me a clean slate

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2025 06:49:45 -0700

On 2025-08-06 05:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The other part of the puzzle is that it is not always
> possible to predict in advance what Lisp files will be automatically
> loaded at startup because they are needed by the startup code, so they
> couldn't all be natively-compiled in advance.

That part of the puzzle does not apply, since -Q means "don't run 
startup code".

> I'm not interested in adding yet another way of
> avoiding native-compilation

But I'm not asking for another way to avoid native compilation. Native 
compilation is fine. Just don't trust what's already in .emacs.d, that's 
all.

 > The solution we use in the test suite is to set HOME to a non-existent
 > directory, so that's what I can suggest in your case.

That suggestion is inadequate, as it leads to bogus diagnostics and/or 
detritus after the test. However you are unwilling to change your mind 
even to add a simple flag, and you are a maintainer whereas I am not.