Subject: bug#79124: emacs -Q doesn't give me a clean slate

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2025 13:16:27 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2025-08-05 10:52, Manuel Giraud wrote:
>> I don't know why something like this would
>> not work:
>> emacs -Q --init-directory=$(mktemp -d)
>
> That leaves behind a directory in /tmp.

Yes I know.  My idea was to first identify is this is sufficient to
create an isolated environment for Emacs.

> Actually, it leaves two of them behind, one for a different reason;
> libgccjit creates it.

Which directory does libgccjit create?

> Although these are not fatal objections, they're messes that we're
> better off without. Testing should be simple, not complicated.

Yes of course.  The second part of my idea is that maybe -Q could be a
shortcut for "-q --no-site-file --no-splash
--init-directory=$TMPDIR_SOMEWHERE_THAT_WOULD_BE_DELETED_WHEN_QUITTING"
-- 
Manuel Giraud