Subject: bug#79116: 31.0.50; Crash on IGC build

From: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2025 13:31:08 -0500

Hi folks,

I left Emacs idle overnight, and I found a crash log when I returned in
the morning. Please see the attached file.

I'm using the IGC branch, and it looks like a related assertion failed.

I have igc-step-interval set to 0.05, but no other configuration related to GC.

I don’t know how to reproduce the error.

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin24.6.0, NS
appkit-2575.70 Version 15.6 (Build 24G5065c)) of 2025-07-16 built on
beatrix.local
Repository revision: 382123e69e2c0cae39e44f9b72ca3674eaec2ad1
Repository branch: igc
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.6

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns --with-modules --with-native-compilation
--with-libgmp --with-tree-sitter --with-sqlite3 --with-mps=yes
--without-imagemagick --without-dbus CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/homebrew/include
LDFLAGS=-L/opt/homebrew/lib PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/homebrew/lib/pkgconfig
ac_cv_func_posix_spawn_file_actions_addchdir=no'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES MPS NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load autorevert
filenotify thingatpt time-date jka-compr info-look info compile comint
subr-x ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run cl-extra shortdoc
text-property-search pp comp-common rx help-fns byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile radix-tree help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib
display-line-numbers rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile mps
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 24 0 0) (symbols 56 0 0) (strings 40 0 0) (string-bytes 1 0)
(vectors 24 0) (vector-slots 8 0 0) (floats 24 0 0)
(intervals 64 0 0) (buffers 1072 0))