Subject: bug#79104: vc-test-git07-other-working-trees failure with current master

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2025 07:47:49 +0300

merge 79104 79024
thanks

> Cc: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2025 13:08:20 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> 
> I just now got the following failure with "make -j12 check" on current 
> master (commit 547525176f23bb543687de1be853da9ad556d60e), when running 
> on Ubuntu 25.04 x86-64. I see that recent changes were made to lisp/vc 
> so I expect that's related.
> [...]
> Registering (foo)...
> Registering (foo)... done
> Mark set
> Press C-c C-c when you are done editing.
> Enter a change comment.  Type C-c C-c when done
> Checking in foo...
> Test vc-test-git07-other-working-trees backtrace:
>    signal(error ("Failed (status 128): git --no-pager commit -m Testing
>    error("Failed (%s): %s" "status 128" "git --no-pager commit -m Testi
>    vc-do-command("*vc*" 0 "git" ("foo") "--no-pager" "commit" "-m" "Tes
>    apply(vc-do-command "*vc*" 0 "git" ("foo") "--no-pager" ("commit" "-
>    vc-git-command(nil 0 ("foo") "commit" "-m" "Testing other working tr
>    apply(vc-git-command nil 0 ("foo") ("commit" "-m" "Testing other wor
>    vc-git-checkin(("foo") #("Summary: Testing other working trees\n" 0
>    apply(vc-git-checkin (("foo") #("Summary: Testing other working tree
>    vc-call-backend(Git checkin ("foo") #("Summary: Testing other workin
>    #f(compiled-function (backend rev patch-string files comment) #<byte
>    #f(compiled-function (files comment) #<bytecode 0x1405c7966fba872f>)
>    vc-finish-logentry()
>    funcall-interactively(vc-finish-logentry)
>    call-interactively(vc-finish-logentry)
>    log-edit-done()
>    vc-test--other-working-trees(Git)
>    #f(lambda () :dynbind (let ((value-90 (gensym "ert-form-evaluation-a
>    #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x7d2649fec46bd50>)()
>    handler-bind-1(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x7d2649fec46bd50>
>    ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
>    ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name vc-test-git07-other-working-trees :do
>    ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
>    ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :n
>    ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (
>    ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
>    eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
>    command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "--eval" "(setq treesit-extra-l
>    command-line()
>    normal-top-level()
> Test vc-test-git07-other-working-trees condition:
>      (error
>       "Failed (status 128): git --no-pager commit -m Testing other 
> working trees\n\n --only -- foo")
>     FAILED  16/32  vc-test-git07-other-working-trees (0.022482 sec) at 
> lisp/vc/vc-tests/vc-tests.el:1

That's very similar to the failure I get in this new test, as
described in bug#79024 (although I didn't run the test suite in
parallel with "make -jN").  So I'm merging these two bugs.