Subject: bug#79103: closed (Re: bug#79103: 31.0.50; Tramp ssh method doesn't work)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2025 11:30:02 +0000

Your bug report

#79103: 31.0.50; Tramp ssh method doesn't work

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
79103: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=79103
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#79103: 31.0.50; Tramp ssh method doesn't work
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Bernardo Bacic <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2025 13:29:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bernardo Bacic <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Bernardo,

> It's a bit odd as this setup has been in place for a long time but has
> caused the problem only now; i can live without colours (or temporarily
> disabling them). Had a misconception that PS1 settings on the *target*
> host are important and have accordingly stripped it down to bare minimum
> but with no effect.

PS1 setting is relevant for both the local and remote case.

> Thanks for your help, guess the case is closed.

Yep, I'm closing it.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 31.0.50; Tramp ssh method doesn't work
From: bernardo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2025 06:01:36 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

$ emacs -Q
C-x C-f /ssh:192.168.1.12: RET

nothing happens for a long time, cursor changes shape to a spinning
circle

ssh in a terminal to the same host (on local LAN) works fine

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2025-07-26 built on berubuntu-ep
Repository revision: c5f649441e2e055701c7bee811eaf266c4f0e7ce
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM
XRANDR GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch
pp cl-extra cl-print tramp-androidsu tramp-adb tramp-archive
tramp-container tramp-ftp tramp-gvfs zeroconf url-util url-parse
url-vars dbus xml thingatpt help-fns radix-tree tramp-cmds tramp-cache
time-stamp tramp-sh tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message help-mode tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ring parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile ansi-color tramp-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95539 9775) (symbols 48 10072 0) (strings 32 32249 2936)
 (string-bytes 1 857133) (vectors 16 18789)
 (vector-slots 8 194894 6797) (floats 8 61 733) (intervals 56 1169 1)
 (buffers 1064 12))