Subject: Re: bug#79090: Respects Fontconfig settings for ftcr and ftcrhb font backends

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2025 10:34:03 +0300

> From: Mike <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2025 21:12:36 -0400
> 
> The ftcr and ftcrhb backends use cairo to render fonts, but cairo does
> not respect font specific fontconfig settings. This patch queries
> fontconfig with the specific font, and then it translates the fontconfig
> settings into cairo font settings.
> 
> Both backends would also ignore :hinting and :autohint properties from
> the font-spec. This patch fixes that too.

Thanks.

I don't use Fontconfig and Cairo, so someone else who does will need
to review the patch and try it.  Would you please post a procedure to
test this patch once applied?

Also, I wonder if this will have any user-level effects, and if so,
should we have a NEWS entry about that?

And finally, to accept changes of this size, we will need you to sign
a copyright-assignment agreement with FSF.  If you are willing to do
that, I will send you the form to fill and the instructions to go with
it.