Subject: [bug#79071] Request for merging "world-rebuild" branch

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2025 11:26:21 +0100

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Mon, Aug 25, 2025 at 11:50:52AM +0200 schrieb Andreas Enge:
>> Over the last day it has ground to a halt; I see error message like this
>> in the build coordinator:
>> 2025-08-25 11:43:01 @ download-progress
>> /gnu/store/55ay81kd2gdh5xjcwlzl9g1nmwih91al-tvm-0.20.dev0-1.d3a2ed6.drv
>> https://data.guix.gnu.org/nar/55ay81kd2gdh5xjcwlzl9g1nmwih91al-tvm-0.20.dev0-1.d3a2ed6.drv
>> 776 776
>> …
>> 2025-08-25 11:43:01 message: "derivation
>> `/gnu/store/55ay81kd2gdh5xjcwlzl9g1nmwih91al-tvm-0.20.dev0-1.d3a2ed6.drv'
>> has incorrect output
>> `/gnu/store/x8mbs7k5ynwjd16aly14h49bphgv43qf-tvm-0.20.dev0-1.d3a2ed6',
>> should be
>> `/gnu/store/2z33z4qzxxyllm5a9i7acsha53a3p9n0-tvm-0.20.dev0-1.d3a2ed6'"
>> for a number of packages.
>
> These are frightening, but I realise that they cannot be related to the
> branch: This comes from data and not data.qa. So it must be related to
> building the master branch, which seems to work: I see recently being
> updated packages that are built.
>
> So the problem must be somewhere else...

Yeah, there's something wrong with the data service processing revisions
in that sometimes some of the derivation information (inputs/sources)
can be missing from the database, which manifests as failures to
substitute the derivations.

This shouldn't have been possible in the first place, so it's really
hard to tell if I've fixed whatever caused these data issues. I've been
looking in to trying to find and fix the broken derivations on
data.guix.gnu.org today but I've got stuck as Guix is refusing to
substitute a store item, and I can't tell why, which hints at some
potential new problem with the data:

  https://codeberg.org/guix/maintenance/issues/25

Unfortunately as I say, there's no information as to what is going
wrong, so I've given up for now.