Subject: bug#79065: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Allow inverting the meaning of 'quit-window-kill-buffer'

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 10:28:18 +0200

> For a long time, I've had a bit of code in my config to invert the
 > default behavior of 'quit-window', so that it normally kills the
 > buffer, but buries it with the prefix arg. With bug#76248, I now have
 > almost what I want in Emacs proper (thanks!), except without the
 > prefix arg behavior.
 >
 > Attached is a patch to do this. Hopefully the documentation is ok, but
 > I'm open to other wordings. I fear my current wording might be a bit
 > convoluted...

IIUC the current behavior has the prefix argument simply ignore
'quit-window-kill-buffer'.  With your patch it inverts whatever that
option prescribed till now.  Right?  If so, this would constitute an
incompatible change and we probably should convey the behavior you want
via a new value for 'quit-window-kill-buffer' itself.  In either case,
the doc-string of 'quit-window-kill-buffer' would have to be amended
accordingly and the new behavior be called out in NEWS.

Thanks, martin