Subject: bug#79057: closed (Re: bug#79057: 30.1; `split-string` unexpectedly clears match data when called on an unrelated string.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 11:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#79057: 30.1; `split-string` unexpectedly clears match data when called on an unrelated string.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
79057: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=79057
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#79057: 30.1; `split-string` unexpectedly clears match data when called on an unrelated string.
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Navid Madani <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 14:20:50 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 00:00:14 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Navid Madani <[email-masked]>
> 
> You are absolutely correct—and sorry for the inconvenience. How did I miss that in the docstring?
> 
> Thank you for all you do, and especially for Emacs! The most underrated software these days.

Thanks, I'm therefore closing this non-bug.

Subject: 30.1; `split-string` unexpectedly clears match data when called on an unrelated string.
From: Jennifer and Navid Madani <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2025 00:44:20 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Run test1 in the code snippet below for reproducing the bug.

I tested it using emacs -Q on macOS and Ubuntu with the same result.

(setq *MULTI-LAB-ENTRY-RE* "^\\([[:alpha:]]\\)?[[:space:]]?\\([[:digit:]]\\{2\\}/[[:digit:]]\\{2\\}/[[:digit:]]\\{4\\}\\)[[:space:]]+\\([[:digit:]]\\{2\\}:[[:digit:]]\\{2\\}\\)[[:space:]]+\\(.+\\)")

(defun test1 ()
  (let ((line "a 05/22/2025 14:32 BLOOD WBC 10.4 H K/uL 4.5 - 10.0"))
    (string-match *MULTI-LAB-ENTRY-RE* line)
    (message "match-data after string-match: %S" (match-data))
    (split-string "dummy string") ;; Do NOT pass 'line' here
    (message "match-data after split-string: %S" (match-data))
    (message "group 1: %S" (match-string 1))))

(test1)

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.65 Version 12.7.6 (Build 21H1320)) of 2025-02-24 built on
armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.5

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
-DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-fns radix-tree cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile debug
backtrace help-mode find-func misearch multi-isearch cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 53177 15615) (symbols 48 6410 0) (strings 32 16110 2304)
(string-bytes 1 411336) (vectors 16 11797)
(vector-slots 8 134092 12148) (floats 8 25 52) (intervals 56 375 7)
(buffers 992 12))