Subject: Re: bug#79050: vc-git incorrectly treats git-crypt encrypted files as binary, even when unlocked

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 11:36:20 +0100

tag 79050 + notabug
notfixed 79050 31.1
thanks

Hello,

On Tue 22 Jul 2025 at 09:45am +03, Juri Linkov wrote:

> Also I remember a minor inconvenience that "--textconv" makes `git diff`
> too slow on encrypted files.  Most of the time there is no need
> to see decrypted text in diff output.  So I prefered to add "--textconv"
> only occasionally: mostly to verify the encrypted content before committing
> changes, but not when viewing logs with diff.

Interesting.

> Would it be possible to enable this optionally?
> Maybe a simple variable would suffice.

Another problem is that you can't commit changes from *vc-diff* buffers
with --textconv, and if you try to do so anyway, it might break things
in your repository, without you realising.

Therefore I think that users should have to add this to
vc-git-diff-switches themselves if they want this.  I'll revert the
change.

-- 
Sean Whitton