Subject: Re: bug#79047: Add some multi-character pairs to some major modes.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2025 16:11:03 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2025 at 17:41:54 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2025 13:39:07 +0000
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> >   [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

[ .... ]

> The issue at hand is the question asked in
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=79047#5

OK.  I've already voiced some doubts about this proposed change.

Does Emacs really need Yet One More Way of entering a comment?  It will
need at least one more user option distinct from electric-pair-mode, for
example.  Elijah has responded to this point, stating he believes it
would be useful.

I said (yesterday) that I thought the commit

    commit 60fbeda771639ded68ffd0666df340c7a06cafcf
    Author: Elías Gabriel Pérez <[email-masked]>
    Date:   Thu Apr 24 17:34:58 2025 -0600

        Support strings for electric pairs (bug#78053)

was unfinished and should be finished before implementing the proposed
change.

> I'd like to hear your opinion about that suggestion wrt CC Mode.  If
> you are against that, please just say so, and then we will not make
> the suggested changes in CC Mode.  If you don't mind, or want to see
> the proposed patch, or have some other response to that question,
> specifically, please voice your opinions, and let's move on.

I'm not really against the bug's proposal being in CC Mode.  Just it
will cause an extension of all the nastiness in CC Mode we were
discussing earlier on today.  I can live with that.

So if the feature as a whole gets implemented, I would certainly
introduce it into CC Mode, too.

[ .... ]

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).