Subject: Re: bug#79047: Add some multi-character pairs to some major modes.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2025 11:30:04 +0000

Hello, Elijah.

One important point.

On Sat, Jul 19, 2025 at 09:42:52 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2025 20:04:12 -0600

> > Since `electric-pair-mode` now supports multi-character pairs, it would
> > be better if some major modes add some of these pairs.

Are you sure about this?  In NEWS, there is the rather sloppily worded
entry:

    ** Electric Pair mode can now pair multiple delimiters at once.
    You can now insert or wrap text with multiple sets of parentheses and
    other matching delimiters at once with Electric Pair mode, by providing
    a prefix argument when inserting one of the delimiters.

It uses the sloppy American English ambiguity where "multiple" can mean
either "several", or "composed of several parts".  In correct British
English "multiple" has only the latter meaning.

I think in this NEWS entry the meaning "several" was intended, and you
may have misread it.  I don't think electric-pair-mode has any facilities
for pairing a multiple delimiter; only for pairing several of the same
delimiter at once, e.g. (((....))).

Please check if I am correct or mistaken on this point.  If I'm correct,
then the prerequisites for implementing this change are absent, and there
is nothing more to discuss.

> > Before making the patch for this (and to avoid doing another regression
> > like bug#77823), here is a list of the modes and their possible pairs:

[ .... ]

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).