Subject: bug#79042: closed (Re: bug#79042: 29.4; dired-get-marked-files docstring is incorrect)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 12:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#79042: 29.4; dired-get-marked-files docstring is incorrect

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
79042: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=79042
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#79042: 29.4; dired-get-marked-files docstring is incorrect
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Sean McAfee <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 15:46:25 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Sean McAfee <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 13:56:44 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2025 at 4:10 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>  OK, so I guess we can now close this bug?
> 
> Sounds good to me!

Thanks, done.

Subject: 29.4; dired-get-marked-files docstring is incorrect
From: Sean McAfee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2025 13:47:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Visit a directory with Dired, move to any file, and execute
the following code with eval-expression:

  (dired-get-marked-files nil 'marked)

It returns nil, even though the docstring for dired-get-marked-files
says "If ARG is any other [ie, not an integer] non-nil value, return
the current file name."  This is because the ARG argument is
passed to dired-map-over-marks, which interprets the symbol
"marked" in this way.

For context, I was looking for a way to get a list of marked files, or
nil if no files are explicitly marked.  The docstring for
dired-get-marked-files does not admit such a usage, but it actually is
possible, as described above.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-01-29 built on system76-pc Windowing
 system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12302006 System
 Description: Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/emacs/ack hides /home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/ack-1.11/ack
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/git-commit-20240123.1358/git-commit hides
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20241223.2133/git-commit
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20241224.2234/transient hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/transient
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-ensure
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-lint hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-core hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-bind-key
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-jump hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-diminish
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
/home/mcafee/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-delight
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
~/emacs/japanese hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/language/japanese
~/emacs/chinese hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/language/chinese

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug pulse misearch multi-isearch shortdoc
help-fns radix-tree executable recentf tree-widget conf-mode view vc-git
org-bullets org-element org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree oc-basic
ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi raku-detect org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
gnus-dired dired-launch emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi
emms-idapi-musicbrainz emms-mpris dbus emms-librefm-stream xml
emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history
emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat treesit-auto xref-js2 vc vc-dispatcher
js2-mode js c-ts-common treesit cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs dired-filter f
dired-hacks-utils dired-aux dired-x shell-pop term disp-table ehelp
beginend volatile-highlights iedit iedit-lib
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more tagedit s sgml-mode facemenu
dom mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core rect dtrt-indent advice
projectile lisp-mnt grep ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
elisp-slime-nav etags fileloop generator xref project magit-submodule
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode
diff-mode git-commit log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete server magit-mode transient
benchmark magit-git magit-base magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor
crm compat compat-30 ido-completing-read+ memoize cus-edit pp cus-load
icons minibuf-eldef flycheck find-func diminish gnus nnheader gnus-util
time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit autoinsert misc
sanityinc-tomorrow-blue-theme color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow color
mb-depth files-x ido-vertical-mode undo-tree diff queue ack derived
compile text-property-search paredit edmacro kmacro dash cl-extra
help-mode use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core desktop frameset finder-inf winner elec-pair savehist
hippie-exp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring thingatpt ido cl
color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow-autoloads dired-filter-autoloads
dired-launch-autoloads dired-ranger-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads dtrt-indent-autoloads emms-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads f-autoloads fix-word flycheck-autoloads
git-link-autoloads git-timemachine-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads nov-autoloads paredit-autoloads
projectile-autoloads rx shell-pop-autoloads transient-autoloads
treesit-auto-autoloads volatile-highlights-autoloads wfnames-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1036589 83243)
 (symbols 48 50195 11)
 (strings 32 279255 11680)
 (string-bytes 1 7740814)
 (vectors 16 101791)
 (vector-slots 8 1879206 240753)
 (floats 8 572 113)
 (intervals 56 52623 352)
 (buffers 984 71))