Subject: bug#79036: [PATCH] Fix pdb tracking for remote filenames

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2025 16:46:13 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

> So we need a function called, say, remote-file-name, which, when given
> a file name, even an absolute one, will consider it to be on the
> remote host indicated by default-directory, and will be equivalent to
> expand-file-name if default-directory is a local one, is that right?
>
> Michael, don't we already have such a function?

No, we haven't IIRC. Something like this? (untested)

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun file-remote-name (file)
  "Return the remote file name of FILE.
If FILE is already remote, return it as it is.
If `default-directory' is local, return FILE as it is.
Otherwise, prepend the remote file name component of `default-directory'
to FILE."
  (if (file-remote-p file)
      file
    (concat (file-remote-p default-directory) file)))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards, Michael.