Subject: bug#79036: [PATCH] Fix pdb tracking for remote filenames

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 14:41:38 +0300

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2025 01:01:26 +0900
> From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> First, let me explain the problem.  The inferior Python process is
> invoked on the remote host if the Python file buffer is remote.  There
> are two buffers, both remote.
> 
> 1. Python file buffer.
> 2. Inferior Python buffer.
> 
> By default, the inferior Python buffer is shared among Python files.
> So if we open another local Python file, it uses the above remote
> inferior Python buffer.  When we send the contents of the local file
> using C-c C-c to the inferior Python buffer, the local file name such
> as "/tmp/test.py" is passed.  This results in the above problem.

I thought the problem was the opposite one: a file name such as
"/tmp/test.py" in an inferior Python buffer refers to the file on the
same host as the default-directory of the inferior Python buffer.
Thus, if default-directory of the inferior Python buffer is on a
remote host, the file "/tmp/test.py" there refers to a remote file,
although its form is as that of a local file.

You are describing an almost opposite problem.

> If TRAMP supports a method such as "/local:" to access local files, we
> can use it.

We could use it, but I still don't see how this would solve the
problem(s) discussed here.  Please elaborate.