Subject: bug#79036: [PATCH] Fix pdb tracking for remote filenames

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 19:47:25 +0200

kobarity <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> If TRAMP supports a method such as "/local:" to access local files, we
> can use it.  As TRAMP does not seem to have such a thing, I use
> "/ssh::" instead.  The real "/ssh::" requires an SSH server to be
> running on the local host, but I'm just using it as a pseudo prefix to
> distinguish local files from remote files. i.e. SSH server is not
> required on local host.

FTR, Tramp knows a method "local". It is used for internal purposes; I
don't know whether it is worth to expose it to the outer world.

Eshell has a similar problem. It must know, whether a command runs on
the local host, or on the remote host as determined by
default-directory. It uses the "/local:" prefix to force commands for
the local host, even if they would run on the remote host
otherwise. Perhaps you can adapt this approach to your needs.

See (info "(eshell) Remote Access")

Best regards, Michael.