Subject: bug#79029: closed (Re: bug#79029: 30.1.90; Leuven theme causing strange frame issues?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2025 12:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#79029: 30.1.90; Leuven theme causing strange frame issues?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
79029: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=79029
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#79029: 30.1.90; Leuven theme causing strange frame issues?
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Ken Mankoff <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2025 15:15:18 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Ken Mankoff <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2025 05:44:47 -0400
> 
> Hi Visuwesh,
> 
> On 2025-07-15 at 23:21 -04, Visuwesh <[email-masked]> wrote...
> > This is a quoting problem.  This should instead say
> >
> >     `(lui-highlight-face ((,class (:box (:line-width 1 :color
> > "#CC0000") :foreground "#CC0000" :background "#FFFF88")))) ; my
> > nickname
> 
> Yes, that fixes it. Dark theme has the same issue. Patch attached.

Thanks, now installed on the emacs-30 release branch, and closing the
bug.

Subject: 30.1.90; Leuven theme causing strange frame issues?
From: Ken Mankoff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2025 23:03:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I'm experiencing a bit of weird bug, but have successfuly reproduced it
with a clean minimal setup and fixed it by commenting out one line from
the Leuven theme.

This line is causing the problem:

   ;`(lui-highlight-face ((,class (:box '(:line-width 1 :color "#CC0000") :foreground "#CC0000" :background "#FFFF88")))) ; my nickname

The issue occurs in the following situation:

I regularly bring up a new frame with `emacsclient -c -n`. I've just
started to use emacs Slack integration, and when I launch
`(slack-start)`, I get the following message

face-spec-set-2: Invalid face box: quote, (:line-width 1 :color
"#CC0000")

And from then onward, when I try to bring up a new frame, I cannot. The
*scratch* buffer opens in an existing frame.

This is reproducible with a small init.el that only contains:

; set up use-package
(load-theme 'leuven)
(server-start)
(use-package slack
   ; Generic Slack conifg here
   )

When I comment out the `lui-highlight-face` above, the bug goes away.

In GNU Emacs 30.1.90 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.4) of 2025-07-13 built on fw13
Repository revision: 1136aed6dc5f8a2b7fad78bcd5dcd7eeba863e14
Repository branch: HEAD
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/kdm/local/emacs --with-pgtk
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug vc-git diff-mode track-changes
vc-dispatcher oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id org-refile
org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue
mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
compile comp-run comp-common xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs thingatpt find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec edmacro kmacro cl-extra
help-mode warnings server leuven-theme use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf all-the-icons-dired-autoloads
all-the-icons-ibuffer-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads
f-autoloads slack-autoloads emojify-autoloads ht-autoloads
alert-autoloads log4e-autoloads gntp-autoloads circe-autoloads
request-autoloads ts-autoloads s-autoloads info dash-autoloads
websocket-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 543216 47016) (symbols 48 30153 3)
 (strings 32 159056 3725) (string-bytes 1 4106903) (vectors 16 50253)
 (vector-slots 8 1337153 222504) (floats 8 376 98)
 (intervals 56 5819 0) (buffers 992 15))