Subject: bug#79027: closed (Re: bug#79027: xref/pp changes in latest versions?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2025 08:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#79027: xref/pp changes in latest versions?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
79027: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=79027
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#79027: xref/pp changes in latest versions?
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Gonzalo Larumbe <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2025 11:54:21 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Gonzalo Larumbe <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2025 15:57:56 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I guess it was the default behaviour of the package to take them into account but it should not be a problem
> at all to ignore them for testing.
> 
> I just tried removing text properties and text file comparison now works.
> 
> Thanks a lot for your quick help!

No further comments, so I'm now closing this bug.

Subject: xref/pp changes in latest versions?
From: Gonzalo Larumbe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2025 00:04:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I am experiencing an error in a CI job in GitHub in some packages I
currently maintain (verilog-ext and vhdl-ext, available on MELPA). The
error only happens in the `snapshot` build, cached from a recent Emacs
version (https://github.com/purcell/nix-emacs-ci).

In both of these packages (verilog-ext and vhdl-ext) I have created an
`xref` backend based on tree-sitter. To test it there is an ERT test suite
that writes the xref items to a text file with `(pp-default-function
#'pp-29)` and compares it with a reference file created previously using
the same function.

This test works well with all Emacs versions from 29.1 to 30.1 and with
release-snapshot. However with the latest versions it seems something in
`pp` or in `xref` might have changed that I am missing and maybe I should
update to. Is there any idea of what could it be?

I attach the log of GitHub actions failing job in case it could be useful.

Thanks in advance!