Subject: Re: bug#79026: 30.1; TAB in Minibuffer when using a quail input-method should complete the longest common suffix of candidates

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2025 10:29:31 -0400

> It doesn't look like quail-completion (which is the command bound to
> TAB in that input method) is supposed to work as you expect.  Instead,
> it is a fancy visual feedback for typing long sequences, fancier than
> what Emacs usually shows in the echo-area (which is just the list of
> candidates for the next character).
>
> IOW, after pressing TAB, you are supposed to:
>
>   . realize that there's just one candidate "\above"
>   . type its characters one by one, guided by the moving highlight in
>     the *Quail Completions* buffer as you go
>
> Stefan and Arash, am I right?

I sadly don't know any more than you do about it.
I hope Handa would know better.
I have wished for a quail completion mechanism based on the usual
minibuffer completion, but IIUC it's not completely straightforward.

        Stefan