Subject: Re: bug#79024: 31.0.50; Multiple working trees support for VC

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2025 09:42:31 +0100

Hello,

On Sat 26 Jul 2025 at 04:49pm +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I don't understand the question.  The test files are compiled when the
> test is run, if the .elc file is outdated.

But if you just do 'make' in the root of the source tree, they're not
recompiled, right?  Otherwise I would have seen and fixed the warning.

Is that deliberate?  Even if we don't run the tests as part of the
build, we could compile them, and therefore be more likely to notice
problems like this.

>   Test vc-test-git07-other-working-trees condition:
>       (file-missing "Opening output file" "No such file or directory"
> 		    "/nonexistent/.emacs.d/projects.eld")
>      FAILED  24/56  vc-test-git07-other-working-trees (0.120713 sec) at lisp/vc/vc
>
> Maybe this fails because my Git is very old?  (It does support
> worktrees, though.)  If you could show a series of shell commands this
> test invokes, I could perhaps run them from the shell and see what
> happens.
> [...]
> OK, did that (perhaps this should be in the comments to the test?).
> But the test is still skipped.  I think I understand why: we run the
> test suite with a bogus HOME directory, so the real ~/.hgrc is not
> used, and "hg share" says "unknown command".  I see the same on
> GNU/Linux, so this is not specific to Windows.  Does the test work for
> you?

Thanks, I didn't see these issues previously because I had been running
the tests only interactively.
Now rectified that and sorted out enabling the share extension for hg
and fixed the /nonexistent/.emacs.d/project.eld issue.

The tests still do not pass because after executing the line

    ;; Test `move-working-tree'.
    (vc-move-working-tree backend second third)

there is then an error, at some point:

    error in process sentinel: Setting current directory: No such file or directory, /tmp/vc-testfFGMCu/second/

I haven't yet been able to determine what is causing this process
sentinel left behind in the 'second' working tree (that the test renames
out of existence).

-- 
Sean Whitton