Subject: Re: bug#79024: 31.0.50; Multiple working trees support for VC

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2025 15:18:36 +0100

Hello,

On Wed 23 Jul 2025 at 01:08pm -04, Spencer Baugh via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" wrote:

> IMO it would be fine to just look this up each time.
>
> The predicate passed to project-prompter would take the root directory
> of the project and decide whether that should be included in the prompt;
> and for hg shares, that would just be looking at .hg/sharedpath and
> checking if it has the right contents.  I think that one filesystem
> access is an acceptable cost, I don't think Emacs will need to maintain
> records of its own beyond the existing project--list.

Hmm, well, vc-hg-other-working-trees has to look at every registered
project and decide if it is a related working tree; it has to be do this
independently of project-prompter or any of that machinery.  But there
could be a very large number of registered projects, and there'd be a
file access for each one.

-- 
Sean Whitton