Subject: bug#79024: 31.0.50; Multiple working trees support for VC

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 14:15:17 +0100

Hello,

On Sun 10 Aug 2025 at 04:31pm +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> After some tinkering, my conclusion is that "git worktree" is too
> buggy in my version of Git, so it isn't worth our while to keep
> wasting time on this.  Maybe add a version check to skip the test is
> Git is too old

Okay.  I've now done that.

> (which version of Git has complete enough implementation of
> worktrees?).

2.17, I think.

The remaining thing for this bug is fixing Mercurial committing.

You wrote:

> I don't think it matters with Mercurial, and it can never do any harm
> to use Unix EOLs, I think.
>
> A more important question is the encoding: does hg expect the commit
> log messages to be in UTF-8, or does it not care, or something else?

I wrote:

> <https://wiki.mercurial-scm.org/EncodingStrategy#UTF-8_strings> makes it
> sound like the file is assumed to be in the local encoding and then gets
> converted.  However, that page has not been updated for ten years.
>
> There is an option --encoding that one can pass.  It defaults to utf-8.
> That makes it seem like we could write out the commit message in UTF-8
> and know it'll be okay.

Do you agree with the plan?  That is, always use Unix line endings,
write out the commit message in UTF-8.  So the only thing that changes
is going via a file.  I should be able to write some tests to assert
this is fine on Windows, which you can run.

-- 
Sean Whitton