Subject: bug#79023: 30.1.90; Suspicion of memory leak on internal_redisplay (MacOS)

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 02:07:04 +0200

Przemysław Alexander Kamiński <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm attaching 6 patches (for easy review/scrutiny/integration).

This is fantastic!  When I was fixing view/layer leaks, I saw lots of
other leaks, and the word "font" certainly caught my attention. :) I
remember thinking, "I hope we [the community] will fix all these next,
but let me first focus on the biggest leak [on my system]".

So, I am super-happy someone is doing more!  The NS port badly needs
some serious love, or replacement.  Its pixelated tool bar icons with
white background in dark theme, barely responsive C-g, memory leaks,
freezes, and crashes... scream "unmaintained".  That is where we are.

On my machine, NS often freezes, even `emacs -Q', when closing a frame
with the mouse, using the standard WM "red circle" button.  I have no
reproducer, unfortunately.  But, as a result, I close frames strictly
with the keyboard, after losing edits multiple times.  Similarly, when
native compilation is doing its thing, Emacs is unusable because C-g is
99% ignored, even worse than normal, so I wait.  The list goes on...

So, thank you for improving the NS port!

Rudy
-- 
"Mathematics takes us still further from what is human into the region
of absolute necessity, to which not only the actual world, but every
possible world, must conform."
--- Bertrand Russell, 1902

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
http://adamkovic.org