Subject: bug#79010: Emacs freezes, leaving small gray buffer-menu popup on screen.

From: Jeffrey Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2025 14:29:35 -0500

Hello, unsung heroes.

I have attached a screenshot. Notice the little gray buffer-menu popup on
the right side. I don't know why it popped up. (I switch buffers using `C-x
C-b` or `Ctrl-TAB`. I was not trying to switch buffers when it crashed, but
I may have mis-typed some key command.)

The popup was surprisingly persistent. It stayed overlaid on my screen even
as I navigated to a different desktop, away from the one with Emacs. (The
main Emacs windows did not disappear, but unlike the popup it behaved
itself, staying on the desktop where I had launched it.) The main window
eventually became gray. (I have no screenshot of the window once it had
turned gray, only before.)

Normally I kill emacs and restart. This time that didn't work, until I used
the `-9` option to the `kill` shell command.

This kind of crash has happened to me many times before, at least once a
week for, I think, months. Sorry for not reporting sooner.

I use NixOS, the Linux kernal 6.15.3, and Plasma 6.3.6 on an HP laptop.

Thank you,
Jeff

-- 
Jeff Brown | Jeffrey Benjamin Brown
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreybenjaminbrown>   |   Github
<https://github.com/jeffreybenjaminbrown>