Subject: Re: bug#79009: [PATCH] Improve 'vtable' object handling, cache handling, messages

From: Stéphane Marks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2025 15:14:37 -0400

On Sun, Jul 13, 2025 at 2:16 PM Stéphane Marks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Attached is the first "smaller" patch to converge on the fixed and
> upgraded vtable presented elsewhere under bug 78843.  I'd like for us to
> consider this patch size for vtable acceptable, and to review it in short
> order to accommodate getting the next patch sets to follow quickly after
> this one.  I'd prefer this not take until the autumn (in the northern
> hemisphere).
>
> If any of you cc'd here do not want to be cc'd on other patches, let me
> know.  You're the ones who I've seen use vtable in the wild, or have
> submitted bug reports.  All of your issues have been addressed, though not
> necessarily in this first patch.  Refer to bug 78843 to see the fixed and
> upgraded vtable intended to converge here.
>

I've updated the broader vtable update in the referenced 78843 bug to check
out if interested.

I've removed support for the duplicate-object feature.  After careful
consideration, it was half baked and I think better for vtable programmers
to handle their own objects.  I will be sure the documentation stresses to
avoid duplicate objects as vtable's design is predicated on unique objects
(or race conditions ensue among duplicate object references).

Attaching the updated patch which is also formatted to avoid mere
whitespace changes.

-Stéphane