Subject: Re: bug#79001: Retain profile image files generated during build

From: Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2025 09:21:19 -0400

I just recalled Paul is listed as a maintainer for the configure/make
files, so adding him.  This patch is almost entirely for the build
process.  I always see requests for measurement of a proposed change's
impact on performance, but no standard benchmarking that I'm aware of.  The
build is one process that stresses the lisp implementation, so this patch
should at least provide one useful benchmark. If nothing else, it will
allow others to replicate the measurements I'm making for
comparison/validation.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2025, 10:00 PM Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2025 at 1:02 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > I am not sure why the generate-ja-dic target in lisp/Makefile.in
> > > depends on custom-deps
> >
> > It doesn't.  It is probably some local snafu on your system, because
> > lisp/Makefile.in I have here says
>
> Ugh, you are right - it was in the first patch, though I do not recall
> adding it.
> I made a fresh clone of the emacs repo and applied all the changes
> before committing.  I'm attaching the combined patch which does not
> contain that non-sequitur.
>
> The profiles of the bootstrap dump and the dump with the loadup
> libraries byte-compiled is in read0 for 0.2 and 0.1 seconds
> respectively (barely enough to measure).  When I summarize profiles of
> all the ELC jobs, though, the total time is about 5 seconds.  It
> should be at least enough for a meaningful comparison, even though it
> is a tiny part of the overall computation time.  If you're interested
> in measuring just read0, anyway. and not the cost of the entire
> activation of the various entry points to read0.
>
> Lynn
>