Subject: bug#78999: 31.0.50; [wishlist] window-divider-mode: option to show the bottom divider only when the mode line is hidden

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2025 13:31:04 +0200

On Sat, Jul 12, 2025 at 1:02 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2025 12:33:56 +0200
> >
> > BTW, in my setup, the mode-line face has a :box property, so each mode
> > line is rendered with a box around it.  As a result, showing both the
> > mode line and the bottom divider looks bad (at least to me).
>
> The mode line has the :box face by default (see the attributes of the
> face 'mode-line'), and if I customize window-divider-default-places to
> (say) 'bottom-only', I don't see anything wrong in the resulting
> display.

I'm not saying that the result is _wrong_.  I just find it like
'redundant', so to speak, to have a window with both a mode line and a
bottom divider below it.  I feel like the mode line is already enough
to mark the bottom boundary of the window.  And I'd rather have either
the mode line or the bottom divider line, but not both.

>  What exactly "looks bad" in your case, and how did you
> customize the :box property?

My setup is something like the one below.

I'm also attaching a screenshot of how it looks here.

---------------
(custom-set-faces
 '(mode-line          ((t (:background "#c4d8fd" :foreground "#000080"
:box (:line-width 2 :color "#000080")))))
 '(mode-line-inactive ((t (:background "#caccce" :foreground "#696969"
:box (:line-width 2 :color "#696969")))))
 '(window-divider ((t (:foreground "black"))))
 )

(setq window-divider-default-bottom-width 4)
(setq window-divider-default-places t)
--------------

-- 
Dani Moncayo