Subject: Re: bug#78995: [PATCH] ;;;autoload-expand for special macros

From: "J.D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2025 09:13:37 -0400

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> Pls don't forget the Tramp change in your patch.

There are definitely builtin packages that can/should be updated as a
result of this new functionality, e.g. transient.  But I don't think
those changes should be part of this patch, because it's sensible to get
the basic capability in place for people to test before adapting other
packages.

That said, TRAMP may be a special case because of the "chicken-and-egg"
problem represented by tramp-loaddefs.el, and the error generated by
attempting to load that file before it exists.  For now just setting
NOERROR when requiring tramp-loaddefs might be the right approach.

Stefan, what do you think a good approach is for packages which want to
start declaring autoload-macro expand in some of their macros, but
/also/ want to support earlier versions of emacs?  I can't think of an
approach other than each such package including:

   (unless (alist-get 'autoload-macro macro-declarations-alist)
      (push '(autoload-macro ignore) macro-declarations-alist))

somewhere.