Subject: Re: bug#78995: [PATCH] ;;;autoload-expand for special macros

From: "J.D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2025 08:34:13 -0400

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> "J.D. Smith" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Good idea.  Michael, if you can try this along with a patch like the one
>> Stefan proposed for tramp (correcting the declare form name) that would
>> be useful.  Assuming it all works as expected, you'll notice
>> `tramp-loaddefs.el' no longer contains the macro and the calls to it,
>> but rather only the expanded forms it generates.
>
> Before doing so, I've tried Stefan's patch with Emacs 28. There are
> compilation warnings.
>    ...
> And also at runtime.

That would seem to make it difficult to add new declare forms and
simultaneously support older versions of Emacs.  How have such issues
been dealt with in the past?  Do you have a version or branch of TRAMP
that is only deployed on master?