Subject: bug#78983: 30.1; Strange reference to "Emacs 10.31" in fileio.c

From: Ulrich Müller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2025 18:01:05 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2025, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I cannot remember why I wrote that, and couldn't find anything in my
> email archives from back then to help me.  But it isn't a simple typo,
> since neither 19.31 nor 18.31 nor 1.31 (if interpreted as the CVS
> version of fileio.c) fit the bill (I checked them all).

So it's a mystery. Not many clues from the ChangeLog either; there are
only two entries for Fexpand_file_name between the 18.52 release and the
initial version in git:

| 1989-04-06  Richard Stallman  ([email-masked])
|
|	* fileio.c (Fexpand_file_name): Don't simplify /../ at start of name.

This change made it into the 18.55 release (which contains only one
version of the function, namely the one that is now #if-ed out).

| 1990-06-01  Joseph Arceneaux  ([email-masked])
|
|	* fileio.c (Fexpand_file_name): Simplified.

This could be anything. :/

> Done, after removing the offending version number from that comment.

Thank you.

> Not sure what you expected -- that when pointed to my commit I will
> not try to understand why I wrote that, and just agree with you on the
> spot that I made such a strange mistake by typing a non-trivial wrong
> version number?  Is that what you would do in such a situation?

Indeed it doesn't look like a simple typo.