Subject: Re: bug#78983: 30.1; Strange reference to "Emacs 10.31" in fileio.c

From: Ulrich Müller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2025 12:38:16 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2025, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Anyway, I don't think 10.31 is a mistake.  I think I asked Richard
> back then.  In particular, the initial commit of fileio.c into CVS,
> from Apr 10, 1991 (which is _before_ the time stamp of fileio.c in
> Emacs 18.59) already has this #ifdef'ed-away version, even though
> Emacs 18.59's version of fileio.c does not.  So there's more here than
> meets the eye.

I've now compared the #if-0-ed code from the initial version in git
(commit 570d76241f16 from 1991-04-10) to the code in Emacs 18.52,
18.55, and 18.57. While none is a perfect match, 18.55 is close.
Going back further in time (I've looked at 18.41 and 16.56), the
differences become larger.

A telltale sign are also the "#ifdef VMS" code blocks (in the initial
git commit; they were removed later). VMS support was added in Emacs 18,
so these code blocks wouldn't be present in any earlier version.

So I still doubt that "version 10.31" theory.

> I can suggest to remove the version from the text, if this nit is
> really deemed important.  But I think we are splitting hair here.
> I have just spent half an hour looking up old versions of fileio.c --
> was that really worth it?

Sorry about that. Feel free to close this bug then. (I thought it was
a no-brainer but apparently it is more complicated.)