Subject: bug#78982: closed (Re: bug#78982: 30.1; find-program value mismatch between runtime and ~grep.el~ definition)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2025 06:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#78982: 30.1; find-program value mismatch between runtime and ~grep.el~ definition

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78982: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78982
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78982: 30.1; find-program value mismatch between runtime and ~grep.el~ definition
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Anush V <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2025 09:07:12 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Anush V <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2025 17:03:41 -0400
> 
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Wed,  9 Jul 2025 19:01:26 +0300
> >
> >> From: Anush V <[email-masked]>
> >> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2025 10:31:03 -0400
> >> 
> >> Hello Emacs maintainers,  emacs --no-init; 
> >>  
> >>   C-h v find-program 
> >>  
> >> Shows 
> >>  
> >>   find-program is a variable defined in ‘grep.el’. 
> >>  
> >>   Its value is 
> >>   "/gnu/store/6i0xi5kf38jk54sw64akd3iv8scw5g6x-findutils-4.9.0/bin/find" 
> >>  
> >> However, the definition of find-program in `grep.el` is 
> >>  
> >>   (defvar find-program (purecopy 
> >>   "/gnu/store/w4p913kmnga3xh80vx8vnkri42dcmqi3-findutils-4.9.0/bin/find") 
> >>     "The default find program. 
> >>   This is used by commands like `grep-find-command', `find-dired' 
> >>   and others.") 
> >>  
> >> The find-program value differs, despite no user configuration being
> >> loaded.  Could you confirm whether this is expected behavior or
> >> a potential bug?
> >
> > The actual value of find-program set by grep.el is this:
> >
> >   (defvar find-program (purecopy "find")
> >     "The default find program.
> >   This is used by commands like `grep-find-command', `find-dired'
> >   and others.")
> >
> > So the value is just "find", and some code somewhere assigned a
> > different value to this variable, and you need to figure out which
> > code did that and why.
> >
> > I don't see any Emacs bugs here.
> 
> The default definition in the upstream grep.el is indeed
> 
>   (defvar find-program (purecopy "find"))
> 
> The /gnu/store/... path I observed in my local grep.el appears to be
> a modification introduced by the Guix packaging of Emacs.  I’ll follow
> up with the Guix maintainers to understand their rationale for this
> override.
> 
> Thank you for checking.  Please feel free to close this bug.

Thanks, done.

Subject: 30.1; find-program value mismatch between runtime and ~grep.el~ definition
From: Anush V <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2025 10:31:03 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Emacs maintainers,  emacs --no-init; 
 
  C-h v find-program 
 
Shows 
 
  find-program is a variable defined in ‘grep.el’. 
 
  Its value is 
  "/gnu/store/6i0xi5kf38jk54sw64akd3iv8scw5g6x-findutils-4.9.0/bin/find" 
 
However, the definition of find-program in `grep.el` is 
 
  (defvar find-program (purecopy 
  "/gnu/store/w4p913kmnga3xh80vx8vnkri42dcmqi3-findutils-4.9.0/bin/find") 
    "The default find program. 
  This is used by commands like `grep-find-command', `find-dired' 
  and others.") 
 
The find-program value differs, despite no user configuration being
loaded.  Could you confirm whether this is expected behavior or
a potential bug?

Thank you for your time!

Regards,
Anush Veeranala

* * *

`guix describe` outputs

  guix describe
  Generation 40	Jul 03 2025 09:44:55	(current)
    nonguix 39424fb
      repository URL: https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
      branch: master
      commit: 39424fb09813cebac8d323da75abf80f01e2641f
    guix-science 345dfdf
      repository URL: https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science.git
      branch: master
      commit: 345dfdf8b9afbae96a8d4c47820e1b058d696093
    guix-cran 198fbbd
      repository URL: https://github.com/guix-science/guix-cran.git
      branch: master
      commit: 198fbbdd5113f7c2239408acc7531c1947b4fc7c
    guix dc455ba
      repository URL: https://git.guix.gnu.org/guix.git
      branch: master
      commit: dc455ba0dd09bc32f050013a1424b5c442bfcb86

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.43,
cairo version 1.18.2)
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/m0xdsa8cfq6mq1kxgxmpmpg71la4f0b9-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/m0xdsa8cfq6mq1kxgxmpmpg71la4f0b9-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash --prefix=/gnu/store/416vvmsc3n33wsliga55ljzmcvhyry54-emacs-pgtk-30.1 --enable-fast-install --with-pgtk --with-cairo --with-modules --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /run/current-system/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/run/current-system/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/416vvmsc3n33wsliga55ljzmcvhyry54-emacs-pgtk-30.1/share/emacs/30.1/lisp
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-imenu-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-notifications-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  auth-source-xoauth2-plugin-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-completion-preview-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-quote-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  modifier-bar-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message emacsbug gnus-cite smiley shr-color mm-archive
mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml nndraft
nnmh pop3 qp utf-7 imap rfc2104 nnmaildir bbdb-gnus nnnil gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache
cal-move tabify ol-subed org-capture geiser-mode geiser-xref
geiser-compile vc-git diff-mode track-changes dired-aux gnus-dired
misearch multi-isearch mule-util ellama-context add-log org-indent
org-num image-file image-converter remember cl-print completion
dos-w32 find-cmd grep find-dired network-stream epa-file
modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes display-fill-column-indicator
indent-bars face-remap color org-duration oc-basic disp-table
org-habit ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range cus-start message yank-media
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi erc-track erc-ring
erc-netsplit erc-menu erc-list erc-imenu erc-pcomplete erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp erc-join erc-spelling flyspell
erc-desktop-notifications erc-match erc-goodies notifications erc
erc-backend erc-networks erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs
llm-deepseek llm-openai ellama llm-provider-utils llm-models
llm-request-plz plz-event-source plz-media-type plz llm ox-md csv-mode
sort bbdb-vcard bbdb-vcard-vcard21 bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
bbdb bbdb-site timezone ob-python python compat pcase ob-R ob-scheme
geiser-guile info-look transient geiser geiser-debug geiser-repl
compile geiser-image geiser-capf geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-autodoc
geiser-edit etags fileloop xref geiser-completion geiser-eval
geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-impl help-fns
radix-tree geiser-log geiser-popup view geiser-custom geiser-base appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-clock saveplace-pdf-view bookmark ispell
auth-source-xoauth2-plugin smtpmail sendmail oauth2 url-http url-auth
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw nsm puny plstore
epg rfc6068 epg-config vc vc-dispatcher autorevert filenotify
anki-editor ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox
org-attach org-element org-persist avl-tree generator dired
dired-loaddefs engrave-faces skeleton org-id org-refile
org-element-ast inline org-contrib ob-shell minibuf-eldef mb-depth
savehist completion-preview delsel elec-pair whitespace saveplace
which-func imenu so-long winner tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message tramp-compat xdg
shell parse-time iso8601 tramp-loaddefs recentf tree-widget project
hl-line use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key finder-inf guix
use-package-core battery dbus xml which-key edmacro kmacro bind-key
easy-mmode comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode warnings comp-run
comp-common org-mouse pixel-scroll cua-base gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script
smie treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
time-date noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
thingatpt find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat org-macs
format-spec time cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit guix-emacs
anki-editor-autoloads auth-source-xoauth2-plugin-autoloads
bbdb-vcard-autoloads bbdb-autoloads bug-hunter-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads dired-du-autoloads ellama-autoloads ement-autoloads
engrave-faces-autoloads ess-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
geiser-guile-autoloads guix-autoloads rx edit-indirect-autoloads
bui-autoloads geiser-autoloads htmlize-autoloads indent-bars-autoloads
jabber-autoloads fsm-autoloads llm-autoloads oauth2-autoloads
org-contrib-autoloads dash-autoloads persist-autoloads
plz-event-source-autoloads plz-media-type-autoloads plz-autoloads
saveplace-pdf-view-autoloads sqlformat-autoloads reformatter-autoloads
srv-autoloads subed-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads
taxy-magit-section-autoloads taxy-autoloads info
magit-section-autoloads llama-autoloads visual-regexp-autoloads
vundo-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple
cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2465291 283886) (symbols 48 54002 3)
 (strings 32 405823 45072) (string-bytes 1 14336751)
 (vectors 16 210274) (vector-slots 8 3059755 178646)
 (floats 8 1107 16576) (intervals 56 133015 4867) (buffers 992 70))