Subject: bug#78974: Mouse pointer issue on Ubuntu 25.04 foreign distro

From: "nomike (they/them)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2025 02:12:08 +0200

Hi!

I did a `guix pull` and an `apt upgrade` two days ago and rebooted my 
laptop afterwards.
Since then my mouse pointer is just a semi-transparent white square (see 
attached screenshot).

I was initially blaming Ubuntu for that, but after some troubleshooting 
discovered, that the issue is gone, when I remove these two lines from 
my `~/.zshenv` (I'm using zsh as my login shell):

```shell
GUIX_PROFILE="/home/nomike/.guix-profile"
. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
```

The issue doesn't happen on all windows. If I run `xterm` for example 
and move the mouse pointer over it's window, the cursor is displayed as 
a normal black arrow with white borders.
I suspect it has something to do with whether the application is a 
native Wayland application or an old X11 one.

As I was initially searching for a solution in Ubuntu I came across some 
posts online which suggested changing the mouse pointer theme using 
Gnome's `tweaks` app, but that didn't help. I also tried running 
`gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme Yaru`, but that 
didn't help either. But as I said, this was before I figured out the 
issue is related to Guix.

Some info about my system:

Hardware: Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 (AMD)
Foreign OS: Ubuntu 25.04 x86_64
DE: Gnome 48
Windowing System: Wayland

Does anyone have a clue about that or have any suggestions as to how I 
could debug this further?

Thanks

nomike