Subject: 30.1; `imenu-add-to-menubar' menu name can be bad

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2025 16:21:51 +0000

Minor bug:

The interactive spec of `imenu-add-to-menubar' is this:

  (interactive "sImenu menu item name: ")

That doesn't prevent a user from just hitting RET with no text in the
minubuffer, which results in an empty menu in the menubar (unusable).
It also doesn't prevent a user from entering a menu name that's the same
as an existing menu, such as Help or File (usable, but confusing, and
might interfere with some other code/features).

It would be better to prompt until the input is a new, nonempty menu
name.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2025-02-23 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.26100
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.26100.4061)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2
 prefix=/g/rel/install/emacs-30.1'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252