Subject: Re: bug#78953: 31.0.50; tab-bar-format-align-right alignment breaks if field widths change

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2025 18:43:12 +0200

Stéphane Marks <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2025 at 12:14 PM Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> > But I understand that disabling the overall wrap around is more
>> > difficult since it has to be implement on a deeper level of the
>> > display engine.
>>
>> Indeed, the required change is on a deeper level of the display engine,
>> but it's quite simple like in the attached patch.  I wonder is it
>> appropriate to reuse the existing option 'auto-resize-tab-bars'
>> whose new value 'truncate' will force tab-bar truncation:
>>
>
> I'd think maybe it should insert an ellipsis, or some other indicator, that
> truncation has been done.

I would not really need such an indication, but why not. For me it is
mainly important that I can prevent jumping behavior - this affects
multiple display parts of Emacs. I also don't like if the echo area
resizes, and I configured it such that it stays at height 1. For
vertical completion the minibuffer necessarily has to resize, but the
window jumpiness because of cursor visibility still hurts. There are
projects like https://github.com/neeasade/stillness-mode.el which try to
prevent this, but these are hacks which makes me worry about robustness.

Daniel