Subject: bug#78945: 30.1; C-x 4 4 and C-x 5 5 do not work with `dired-mouse-find-file'

From: Alcor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2025 21:11:32 +0200

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a fresh emacs -Q process
2. Open some directory in dired via e.g. C-x C-f /tmp RET
3. Rebind <mouse-2> to dired-find-file via (define-key dired-mode-map
(kbd "<mouse-2>") #'dired-find-file)
4a. Try C-x 4 4 and click on a filename
OR
4b. Try C-x 5 5 and click on a filename

Expected behavior:

The file is opened in a new window (if 4a i.e. C-x 4 4) or a new frame
(if 4b aka C-x 5 5).

Observed behavior:

C-x 4 4 or C-x 5 5 are ignored. `dired-find-file' always opens the
clicked file in the same window.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-06-29 built on lcy02-amd64-115
Repository revision: 3c103e7c295c18cc75553fc09b3d603dab7b6703
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12302006
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo
 --with-native-compilation=aot --without-pgtk --with-xinput2
 --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-isystem
 /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem
 /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem
 /build/emacs/stage/usr/include -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem
 /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include -isystem
 /build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -isystem
 /build/emacs/stage/usr/include'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/stage/usr/lib''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  fido-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums disp-table whitespace
display-line-numbers goto-addr thingatpt gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
doom-themes-ext-org doom-themes-ext-visual-bell face-remap
doom-nord-theme pcase doom-themes doom-themes-base which-key finder-inf
use-package-ensure winner ring windmove recentf tree-widget autorevert
filenotify icomplete desktop frameset mb-depth delsel repeat edmacro
kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode cus-edit pp cus-load
wid-edit use-package-core site-start comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode
comp-common warnings rx doom-themes-autoloads erc-irc-format-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads package browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 495938 18679) (symbols 48 24742 0)
 (strings 32 134936 4843) (string-bytes 1 3328789) (vectors 16 36024)
 (vector-slots 8 432373 11360) (floats 8 525 7563)
 (intervals 56 459 0) (buffers 992 10))