Subject: bug#78944: 31.0.50; Minibuffer completion

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2025 09:12:58 +0200

On Tue, Jul 22, 2025 at 10:09 PM Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Dani Moncayo [2025-07-19 09:47:31] wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 19, 2025 at 9:03 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Ping!  How should we make some progress with this issue?
> >
> > FWIW: I don't see a good solution for this (minor) issue.  But I'd
> > like to say that I'd rather not complicate the (already complex) logic
> > for minibuffer completion.
>
> Maybe the patch below?  It doesn't actually fix the problem, but with
> Dani's recipe it adds a message
>
>     Switched from style ‘partial-completion’ back to ‘basic’
>
> at the end of the minibuffer, to try and explain what's going on.

Thanks. I've just tested your patch, and... I'm sorry to say that I
don't like the new behavior.

I see that the message (Switched from style ‘partial-completion’ back
to ‘basic’) appears just after I type the second TAB.  That gives the
user the impression that something (switching back) happened at that
moment (when I typed the second TAB).

But IIUC, the style switching (forth and back) all took place when I
typed the _first_ TAB.  So, I think that, if the user must see some
message, it should be at that moment (first TAB).

--
Dani Moncayo