Subject: bug#78944: 31.0.50; Minibuffer completion

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2025 00:29:46 +0200

Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dani Moncayo [2025-07-19 09:47:31] wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 19, 2025 at 9:03 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Ping!  How should we make some progress with this issue?
>>
>> FWIW: I don't see a good solution for this (minor) issue.  But I'd
>> like to say that I'd rather not complicate the (already complex) logic
>> for minibuffer completion.
>
> Maybe the patch below?  It doesn't actually fix the problem, but with
> Dani's recipe it adds a message
>
>     Switched from style ‘partial-completion’ back to ‘basic’
>
> at the end of the minibuffer, to try and explain what's going on.

Could we please avoid adding side-effects like message printing to the
functions `completion-all-completions`, `completion-try-completion' and
the underlying `completion--nth-completion`? I'd lean to not adding
complications, or side-effects to this API. Messages are better printed
on a higher level, on the level of completion commands. In case the
message is really needed at least guard it behind an option?

Daniel