Subject: Re: bug#78926: 30.1; find-file-read-only require-match inconsistency

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2025 18:41:16 +0300

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2025 15:27:19 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Sorry, I don't understand why I need to patch Emacs in order to see
> > some behavior it has by default.
> 
> To better understand my poor explanations :-)
> 
> But emacs doesn't have this behavior by default.

Now I'm completely confused.  Let me step back and start over.

You started this discussion by describing some behavior of
find-file-read-only that you thought was a bug, correct?  If so, this
discussion should lead to investigating why Emacs behaves like it
does, and then to a decision whether and how to fix this behavior.

Do you agree?  Or did I misunderstand your report and your rationale
for starting this discussion?

If I understood you correctly, then I must see the problematic
behavior in order to reason about it, let alone try to find out its
reasons.  And I so far failed to see what you describe.  So I'm stuck
trying to reproduce the problematic behavior you described, and would
like to find a way of reproducing it before I could contribute
something useful to this discussion.

Sorry for being so dense.