Subject: bug#78924: closed (Re: bug#78924: 31.0.50; recent gnulib update breaks on current OSX (15.5))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2025 13:13:03 +0000

Your bug report

#78924: 31.0.50; recent gnulib update breaks on current OSX (15.5)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78924: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78924
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#78924: 31.0.50; recent gnulib update breaks on current OSX (15.5)
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Liam Stitt <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2025 06:11:55 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for reporting that. I updated Gnulib and installed the attached 
patch to Emacs, which should fix things.

From 30bfb03adfa88e94c9f81eacbd125f96a32432c0 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2025 06:07:23 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Update from Gnulib by running admin/merge-gnulib

---
 lib/open.c | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

diff --git a/lib/open.c b/lib/open.c
index 8356c14f5b3..d76372fd603 100644
--- a/lib/open.c
+++ b/lib/open.c
@@ -55,6 +55,10 @@ orig_open (const char *filename, int flags, mode_t mode)
 #include <sys/stat.h>
 #include <unistd.h>
 
+#ifndef HAVE_WORKING_O_DIRECTORY
+# define HAVE_WORKING_O_DIRECTORY false
+#endif
+
 #ifndef OPEN_TRAILING_SLASH_BUG
 # define OPEN_TRAILING_SLASH_BUG false
 #endif
-- 
2.48.1

Subject: 31.0.50; recent gnulib update breaks on current OSX (15.5)
From: Liam Stitt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2025 00:02:06 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi. After updating, lib/open.c fails to compile thus:

open.c:145:11: error: use of undeclared identifier 'HAVE_WORKING_O_DIRECTORY'
  145 |      || (!HAVE_WORKING_O_DIRECTORY && flags & O_DIRECTORY));
      |           ^

Configuration info follows in case it's useful:

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --enable-link-time-optimization
 --disable-ns-self-contained --without-pop --with-mailutils
 LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils xt-mouse term/xterm xterm
server calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs tramp rx trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-message help-mode tramp-compat shell
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec
ansi-color tramp-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs package
browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 98981 83659) (symbols 48 10921 6) (strings 32 28578 8901)
 (string-bytes 1 727570) (vectors 16 14995)
 (vector-slots 8 126046 43110) (floats 8 46 1) (intervals 56 261 9)
 (buffers 1064 10))